Education and Specialty
Aleema Zakers is a licensed psychiatrist who joined the Georgia Behavioral Health Professionals group in August 2018. Dr. Zakers specializes in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry providing services for ages 0-5 years old and sports psychiatry populations.
- Who's Who Among Universities and Colleges
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Educational Outreach Program
- American Psychiatric Association (APA)/Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) Minority Fellowship Program
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA)/American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry/Center for Mental Health Services (CMHS) Child & Adolescent Fellowship Program
Dr. Zakers is a member of the following affiliations and associations:
- American Psychiatric Association- International Committee
- American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Systems of Care Committee Member
- International Society for Sports Psychiatry Youth Committee Member
- United Nations- NGO on Mental Health - Work-group Chair
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) - September 2015
- Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavior Therapy (TF-CBT) Child & Adolescent July 2015
- Yoga Alliance- Certified Yoga Instructor- Specializing in yoga therapy (training in Indor, India)
Child, Adolescent and Sports Psychiatry Services
Dr. Zakers profession as a health care provider, is perfectly aligned with her personal beliefs of mind-body connection. She gained insight into many different aspects of health and fitness through her intensive athletic background. Progressing from a competitive gymnast (All-star cheerleader and State level sprinter in high school), to a concert dancer after college and culminating as a personal trainer and yoga instructor after medical school. Dr. Zakers believes that a healthy mind and body enhances your quality of life, balances your outlook, and rejuvenates your spirit continually. Dr. Zakers aims to combine her knowledge of the mind and body to facilitate health and to be of service to all mankind.
Sports Psychiatry is the sub-psychiatry within psychiatry largely focusing on diagnosis and treatment of psychiatric illness in athletes. Dr. Zakers is a firm believer that while utilization of psychological approaches to enhance performance may also be part of the work of the sports psychiatrist, it tends to be less so as compared to addressing actual mental illnesses in this population. Diagnoses common in this population that Dr. Zakers believes needs attention are concussions (diagnosis and management/return to play), ADHD, bipolar and related disorders, depression and related disorders, anxiety and related disorders, eating disorders and substance abuse. Dr. Zakers also treats youth in the 0-5 age range with feeding, emotional, and/or behavioral disturbances.
Dr. Zakers has visited 5 out of 7 continents and over 20 countries (including Caribbean countries).
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Zakers, please contact Georgia Behavioral Health Professionals Brookhaven office at (678) 820-7830.